Friday, February 26, 2016

Beginning Condition of the Violin

My dad buys antique, European violins. He repairs and restores these instruments. Recently, he purchased this violin, which was advertised as vintage. When it arrived, we found that, in actuality, it was a cheap, very poorly made instrument imported from China. I decided to take on this project for myself. This blog is a timeline of my progress, showing and describing the steps I am taking to remake and re-voice this violin.

Here are some pictures of the violin as it looked when we received it in the mail.

Notice the bright red finish...... the instrument was varnished with something such as polyurethane, opposed to oil varnish or shellac, which would be the correct material to use. The top plate is actually three pieces, so there are two seams in the top. Also notice the nut at the bottom of the violin was broken off.

I love the beautiful flaming on the back and sides of this violin........
The neck joint was broken, so I will have to take the neck off and reset it.

Next, the violin will be disassembled. We will then begin removing the varnish.

Stay tuned for more!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment